OV-fiets (public transport bicycle)
Do you know that there are more bicycles in the Netherlands than people? And by a large margin! Unlike many other countries, the Netherlands is perfect for bike riding. No hills or mountains, and thousands of kilometres of separated bike lanes. You can use your TripKey to rent an OV-fiets at nearly 300 locations, such as train stations, bus and metro stops. It is convenient to use for the last leg of your journey or to explore the country. You will find a rich diversity of interesting sights and attractions within a relatively short distance. For inspiration, you could check the website of the official Dutch organisation for recreational cycling.
Rent a bike at a guarded bicycle storage facility
- The staff at a guarded facility will scan your TripKey pass and the barcode on the bicycle key. Now they will hand out a bicycle.
- When you return the bicycle, the employee will de-allocate by scanning the key again.
- When you rent at a guarded storage facility, the bike cannot be returned to a self-service storage facility.
- Remember to check the opening hours. If you expect to return the bicycle after the storage facility is closed, ask if there is another way to return the bicycle.
Rent a bike at a self-service bicyle storage facility
- Insert or scan your TripKey into/at the card reader.
- Confirm and the bicycle locker will show which locker to open.
- Open the locker and take out the bike.
- Close the door and wait until the display notifies that the door is locked again.
- When returning your OV-bike, insert or scan your TripKey again.
- After indicating that you are returning the bicycle, place it in the locker.
- You will be asked if the bicycle is in good condition. If that is not the case, report the damage, so that the OV-bike will not be rented out to another person until the damage has been repaired.
- If you are unable to put your OV-bike in the specified locker because it is damaged or occupied, lock the OV-bike and deposit the key in the key safe. (take photo of the key nr first! Call NS Customer Service at 030-7515155 to have your key picked up and scanned).
Rules & regulations
- While it may look to you that bikes can be put anywhere, be aware that there are certain spots where it is prohibited. Check the signs!
- There are some rules that you should know, but keep in mind that not all Dutch cyclists take the rules or traffic lights very seriously, especially in the larger cities. So always be alert.
- In the Netherlands no helmets are required.
- To keep everybody happy and safe, always signal where you’re turning by pointing the direction, or down if you’re slowing/stopping in an unexpected place.
- Be aware that people will pass you on all sides, so practice proactive turn signalling, especially when going left.
Check your bike
All OV-bikes are well maintained and fitted with puncture-proof tires. therefore the risk of you getting a puncture is reduced considerably.
Should you happen to run a flat tire, don’t hesitate to bring the OV-fiets back to the bicycle storage area where you rented it and it will be repaired for free.
If you have the puncture repaired by a different bicycle mechanic, the repair costs will not be refunded.
Check the bike’s tire pressure and its lights prior to your departure.
You can lift or lower the saddle on the OV-bike using the quick-release lever. You do not need any tools to do this.
Please note that the rental bike is supposed to be in your possession until the key has been scanned out and the bike has been returned.
Parking the bike outside any guarded storage facility is done at your own risk and liability. If your bike or its key are lost or stolen, you should notify us as quickly as possible.
The bike number is printed on the bicycles key, so it is recommended to take a picture of the key. In any correspondence, you will be asked for the OV-bike number (see bicycle key), the rental location and the date and time when the OV-bike was stolen.
The rental price of an OV-fiets is € 3.85 per bike per 24 hours. This rate applies for the first 72 hours of rental.
After the first 72 hours, per extra 24 hours of rental: € 5
If you bring the bike back to a location different from where you picked it up: € 10
If you don’t bring back the bike within 21 days: € 250
If the OV-fiets key is lost or stolen: € 20
If the OV-bike has been stolen but you have the police report and the key: € 50
If the OV-fiets has been stolen and you have neither a police report nor the key: € 250
If the OV-bike is damaged due to your carelessness you will pay for the repair costs.
The OV-bikes are ready to use. If something is not working properly, then you can swap your OV-bicycle for another one within 15 minutes at no extra cost.